Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Stick



The weather in Boston has been nothing short of magical the last week or so. With unseasonably warm weather, (in the low 70's) Oliver, Emma and I have found ourselves outside as much as possible. A few days ago we had an "adventure" (as Oliver likes to call our outings) to Drumlin Farm with my friend Jessica W. and her two girls Naomi and Annika. Oliver and Emma have been very interested in farm animals recently and this seemed like the most perfect place to spend a lovely spring afternoon.
As soon as we arrived inside the farm gates, Oliver found a stick and started waving it about. I asked him to be careful, and he waved it more softly, this time at people passing by accompanied by the word "abracadabra!" I watched him for a few moments before saying anything else, just to see what he was up to. He continued to wave his stick at people saying "abracadabra". I knelt down and asked him why he was using magic words and waving his stick. He quickly corrected me. His stick was a "magic wand" and he was saying "abracadabra" to "get people out of my way!"
A few minutes later, after many conversations about not chasing people with his magic wand and YELLING magic words at them, Oliver's stick quietly transformed into a "digger." There we were, surrounded by the farm animals that Oliver had been dying to see in person, and he had his head to the ground digging. "Hey Oliver!! Look at this Owl!" His response? "No Mamma. I'm digging." Later..."Hey Oliver! Come and look at the cow!" Again he replied "No Mamma. I'm digging." After missing most of the animals and not seeming to really care, I asked him why he was digging everywhere we went instead of looking at the animals. He told me that he was "a farmer" and he "needed to dig holes for the animals". How can you argue with that? When a boy needs to dig, let him dig.
As you enter the farm, there is a generous downward slope that turns into a "giant mountain" as you leave. Oliver started up the "mountain" enthusiastically, until about the halfway point where he had to abandon his stick to make it to the summit. He told me that his stick was "too heavy" and he would leave it at the farm until next time. It was not the fate I had expected the stick to face, but probably the most wise.

2 comments:

bg said...

Your blogs are so funny. Make sure you save them so Oliver can read them when he gets older. You just made my morning!

Lisa said...

I love how precocious little Ollie is! I can't wait to see what these kids are going to do when they grow up...but let's not get there too quickly :)