Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Pre-school or Grad school?


I have found myself incredibly frustrated this last week as I have been researching, and looking for a preschool for Oliver to attend this fall. One wouldn't think it would prove to be such a challenge, but alas, we are in Cambridge, Massachusetts. I have been scouring the internet, visiting the sites of all the preschool programs in our area, only to be left with the feeling like I might barf. I think it's fair to say that about 90% of the schools that have a pre-K program have been reviewing applications since September 2007 for Fall admission 2008, and therefore, the classes are full. That's not the barfy part though. What makes me want to throw up (or maybe just laugh really hard out loud) is that they are charging more to teach 3 years olds than BYU would require for your WHOLE ENTIRE education there. (BYU graduate tuition is $4,860/year - and that's after a tuition raise this last year) For example, The Cambridge Montessori School tuition is (taken directly from their site):

"For 2008-2009
Toddler-
Half Day $17,040
Full Day $21,170
Tuition amounts include fees for field trips"

**You could go to BYU grad school for 4.35 years for the cost of ONE YEAR at a Cambridge PRESCHOOL!!! What is wrong with this picture?**

Ummm... where are they going on these "field trips". I hope it's Disneyland, and I hope they are taking me. Reality Check: it is not as if CMS has a huge lavish campus for pre-k kids. It's a pink box on the corner of Walden and Garden. I pass it 3 or 4 times every day. In all fairness, it is not only the tuition that compares to that of many grad schools. The application process does too. (not a good thing in my eyes) I have known several extremely bright 3 years olds to be rejected from various Cambridge preschools after applying and being interviewed. It is strange, and a little concerning to me that parents of a 3 year old have to hear "sorry man, your kid is just not good enough" for the not-so-posh pink box across from "Paddy's" green shamrock pub.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel! I called several pre-schools this morning, all of which told me there wasn't much chance of there being a spot for Oliver in a preschool class SIX MONTHS down the road. That was until Steve (Eliza and Sam's Dad) called to say Hi. We started chatting about preschools and he told me that I HAD to check out the preschool that Sam is currently going to. I looked it up online, saw that it more than exceeded my idea of reasonable monthly tuition in our area ($350/month compared to $1,704/month) and immediately called the director of the school. I did not imagine there would spots available for fall, especially at that price. (To me it was comparable to the most amazing clearance sale you can imagine - but by the time you hear about it, and get there... you fear everything in your size is gone.) I was left gasping for air as the director said that they actually still had space for this fall! Jeff and I have a scheduled tour of the preschool on Monday morning, after which we will be submitting an application for Oliver to attend the "Sacramento Street Preschool". Cross your fingers for us that Oliver won't be receiving a rejection letter in the mail.

This almost makes me more anxious than I was waiting to hear if Jeff got into Harvard.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Pre-school on the east coast is ridiculous! If they are smart they will want Ollie in their pre-school so they can brag about having him when he is brilliant and famous one day ;) Have you looked into any Co-ops with other parents in your area, or is that more of a west coast thing?

Amy Brown said...

I haven't heard of any out here. We did find the one preschool that Ollie is applying at that is decently priced, and highly recommended. Hope it works out...