Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Slammer


This morning for some reason I was so tired I could barely speak. I got 8 hours of good sleep last night, but still, for a hour or two I felt like an old Tom and Jerry episode where Tom is trying to keep his eyelids open with toothpicks. After we dropped Jeff off at work, I feared being pulled over by a cop and falsely being thrown in the drunk tank to sober up. My mind was wandering, preparing myself with what I would do should this actually happen. Would the kids come to the drunk tank with me? I'm sure Oliver would think it was fun - a trip to the jail, and seeing all of the police officers. Emma isn't so easily won over though. All ridiculous thoughts on my part. Surprisingly, it woke me up a bit.
After day dreams of being thrown in the slammer with my 1 and 2 year old children, I decided I could make up for their jail time with a nice trip to the park. Off we went on an adventure to discover new playgrounds. We went driving through a neighborhood we have been to 50 times before, looking for the "kids playscape" that we have heard so much about. It is like the lost city of Atlantis for me. I have driven around looking for this darn playground again and again. I have used a map, GPS, verbal directions, followed my instincts, all ending in miserable failure. This morning I figured it was worth another shot. I really owed it to Ollie and Emma for putting them through such hardship in my day dreams. After about 10 minutes of driving around various neighborhoods, and passing one or two shrimpy little playgrounds, we hit the pot of gold. It wasn't the much anticipated pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but good enough. Metropolitan Park. It boasted a nice sized playground, and lots of soccer fields and open grassy space for the kids to run and stretch after being in a tight little jail cell for so long.

Maybe we'll find the lost playground of Atlantis tomorrow.

2 comments:

bg said...

Was it at the circle c ranch?

Amy Brown said...

yep... at circle c! The picture is from the playground at Zilker Park though.